Simple Laundry Room Tips
WASHING IN 5 EASY STEPS
- Grab what you need: Clothes, detergent, softener (optional)
- Sort by colors: Make separate loads for whites and colors and avoid bleach on colored clothes.
For reds > dark pink or red only
- Detergent first: Add detergent to the empty washing machine, then add your clothes.
- Choose cycle: For whites > delicate cycle with hot or warm wash. For colors> normal cycle with cold wash.
- Start the washer: Remember to close the washer lid! Also, set a timer to make sure you get your clothing after wash.
- Sort clothes: Clothes washed together can be placed into the dryer.
- Don’t overload dryer: Overloading the drying causes clothing to remain wet or take longer to dry. Clothes need to have room to jolt.
- Clean the lint filter: Clean and wipe the lint filter to improve airflow.
- Use an anti-static sheet: Use this to avoid static on your clothing.
- Select dry cycle: Dry your delicate clothes from the washer on the low cycle and regular clothes on the medium-high cycle.
- It’s simple! Be timely in removing clothes from machines.
- Keep the laundry room tidy.
- Clean up all spills and messes.
- Empty the lint tray when done using the dryer.
- Be respectful of other people’s clothing.
- Leave clothes in the machine after the cycle has finished.
- Overload washer or dryer with clothing.
- Use too much detergent.
- Leave clothes and laundry baskets in the way of others.
- Leave spills for others to clean.
- Wash or dry bedspreads, rugs, mattress covers, comforters, wool, rubber or plastic.
TO AVOID LAUNDRY ROOM FLOODING,
PLEASE START MACHINES 5 MINUTES APART.
ECO-FRIENDLY LAUNDRY TIPS
- Follow clothing manufacturer label recommendations.
- Only use hot water for white clothing.
- Only use cold water for colored clothing.
- Most detergent container bottles are recyclable. Look for a local plastic manufacturing company that accepts No. 3 plastics.
- Using Eco-friendly detergent brands will keep your clothes fresh and clean without the use of brighteners, dyes, animal ingredients or fragrances.
- Use vegetable or plant-derived brands.
- Do not use animal fat or oiled brands.
- Use natural fiber sheets that prevent static.